Saturday, February 12

Musicals

I have a crazy obsession with musical theater. I absolutely LOVE musicals of any kind! My favorites are:

The Phantom of the Opera - I love the romantic and tragic character that you can't help but feel sorry for- and can't we all relate to getting swept off our feet by that sexy bad boy phantom, who masks (no pun intended) his dangerous nature with intense passion?

Chicago - Not quite as romantic, but equally passionate and very fun! I love burlesque dance and jazz, so this is an excellent musical for me. Plus all the stars in the movie really make it happen. who knew Catherine Zeta Jones could move like that!? Who knew Renee Zellweger could sing!?!?

The Producers - It took me a few times to watch this before I really liked it, because the style is so unusual- it's like trying to be old-school but with a lot of modern humor. But once you get used to it, it is delightful! You must prepare to be offended, however!

Cats - Who would have thought to make a musical out of this? A book of poems by T.S. Eliot! Truly unique and creative, another great piece of work by Andrew Lloyd Weber. The performers are all so talented in this too, with the amazing costumes, singing, dancing, and cat-like behavior.

Guys and Dolls - Frank Sinatra, Marlon Brando, enough said! Plus the lyrics are just genius. My highschool did this musical, and luckily I hadn't heard of it before then or I would have been highly disappointed. Ya just can't top Frank and Marlon.

The Damn Yankees - No, not the band. My cousin played one of the lead roles in this musical in high school, and I've loved it ever since. Amazing music and dancing! Some of my favorite songs to sing in the shower. [Insert baseball metaphor for life here]

Evita - Another beautiful, tragic story with characters that are fascinating and extraordinary music. I am a little embarrassed to admit it, but I LOVE the movie with Madonna! She is just great in this role!

Rent has a special place in my heart, because it came out at a time in my life when I really needed to be reminded that there is No Day But Today. I made a treasury today in honor of that movie, and my love for bohemian style. Check it out here!

What are your favorite musicals?

3 comments:

Ruth Welter said...

Hello Miss M,

Well, I can see we both love Phantom Of The Opera. I still hope each time I see the movie or musical, that Christine will end up with the Phantom. Ow well, nobody asked me when they wrote the show so, I guess my voice will go unheard. : ) I do love it though and glad to see you are a fan as well.

Ruth

Ps...yes, here is hoping that winter will be gone sooner rather then later.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love musicals too! I am truly happiest when I am singing ( although I'm not a good singer ) whether it be at Karaoke, to songs on the radio or along with great musicals. My favorite is West Side Story.

kzieglerdesign said...

MUSIC MAN. I watch it for the barbershop quartet. I love barbershop! :D